For tilsette Normal tekst  Større tekst  Størst tekst 


Planning your stay

Youg man with laptop and papers

Study in Norway

At the web site Study in Norway you will find useful information on various aspects related to studying in Norway. We strongly recommend you to visit this site.

Academic Calendar

The autumn semester runs from the middle of August to the middle of December. The spring semester runs from January to June.

Residence Permit / Visa

Foreign nationals who wish to study in Norway for longer than three months must apply for a residence permit for students.

Note that as a EEA nationals you do not need to apply for a residence permit in advance. It is sufficient that you register on arrival.

In order to obtain a permit to study in Norway, you must:

  • Have a firm offer of admission from an officially recognised educational institution
  • Be going into full-time education
  • Be ensured housing
  • Be ensured subsistence

To apply for a residence permit, you must complete an application form. The application must be submitted from your country of origin or another country where you have been a legal resident for at least six months. You may as a general rule not enter the country until your permit has been granted. The application must be submitted to your nearest Norwegian Foreign Service Mission (embassy, consulate general). You will also be informed of the decision regarding your application via the foreign service mission.

You will find more information on requirements for obtaining a study permit and application form at the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's web site.

Tuition Fees and Scholarship

The University College charges no tuition fees for courses. All students have to pay a minor study fee of about NOK 600,- per semester. Some studies demand additional fees for excursions. No scholarship are offered, with the exception of The Quota Scheme grants.


Health services in Norway are of high standards. As a student in Norway you are ensured professional medical treatment. In most cases the treatment is free of charge if certain prerequisites are met. These prerequisites vary depending on your current nationality and length of stay in Norway. You will find more information at Study in Norway's web site.

It is the student's own responsibility to make insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property resulting from, or in any way connected with, during the study period in Norway.


In order to get a residence permit as a foreign student in Norway, you must be ensured subsistence for the period the application relates to. You must have financial means equivalent to full funding by the State Educational Loan Fund at the current rate. For the academic year 2012-13 this amounts to NOK 92 500.

This is not required for applicants for studies within the framework of an EU exchange scheme.

You will find further information at the Norwegian Directorate of Immigrations web site.

Costs of living

Living expenses in Norway are considered to be higher than in many other countries. You should expect to have NOK 8 000,- per month for subsistence.


One of the tasks for the Student Welfare Organisation (SISOF) is to provide accommodation for students. Most international students get a room at Elvatunet Student Home. One room costs roughly NOK 2300 per month. The price includes electricity, access to Internet, rent of bed linen and towels and rent of some basic kitchen utensils. Additional costs are use of telephone and washing machine.


When the semester starts in August, it will still be summer. The climate and weather will change during your stay to autumn and winter, possibly with snow before the semester ends in December.

Please be aware that you will need warm clothes, rainwear and good footwear for your stay at the University College. From January to April you should be prepared for some cold days and snow. May and June are in general warmer months.

Sist endra: 19. mars 2014 10:51:56